Saturday, February 25, 2012

An additional SQL 2005 instance - How much extra resources does it consume ?

Dear all,
In order to migrate my existing SQL 2000 databases to SQL 2005, I want to
install an additional SQL 2005 instance, how much extra computer resources,
eg. CPU, memory, ... will it consume ?
Do you have any ideal ?
Or where can I get this information ?
Please tell me if you know, thanks a lot.It depends on how much heavily you are gonna use it. I can at least say
that, every connection to SQL Server 2005 will consume 28KB if I'm
remembering correctly :)
Other stuff is environment-specific. How densely you use your databases,
your queries...
--
Ekrem Önsoy
"cpchan" <cpchaney@.netvigator.com> wrote in message
news:470a4545$1@.127.0.0.1...
> Dear all,
> In order to migrate my existing SQL 2000 databases to SQL 2005, I want to
> install an additional SQL 2005 instance, how much extra computer
> resources,
> eg. CPU, memory, ... will it consume ?
> Do you have any ideal ?
> Or where can I get this information ?
> Please tell me if you know, thanks a lot.
>|||Thanks, I will migrate my SQL 2000 databases to this additional SQL 2005
instance one by one, so you can see, there will be no change either in the
total no. of databases or database work load.
However, people can still agrue that the server has one more SQL 2005
instance, it might consume a certain amount of resources, so, I have to know
how much resources will the SQL 2005 instance consume.
Or where can I get this information ?
Please tell me if you know.
"Ekrem Önsoy" <ekrem@.btegitim.com> wrote in message
news:795C55B8-B3D7-4134-8023-9C411C74E363@.microsoft.com...
> It depends on how much heavily you are gonna use it. I can at least say
> that, every connection to SQL Server 2005 will consume 28KB if I'm
> remembering correctly :)
> Other stuff is environment-specific. How densely you use your databases,
> your queries...
> --
> Ekrem Önsoy
>
> "cpchan" <cpchaney@.netvigator.com> wrote in message
> news:470a4545$1@.127.0.0.1...
> > Dear all,
> >
> > In order to migrate my existing SQL 2000 databases to SQL 2005, I want
to
> > install an additional SQL 2005 instance, how much extra computer
> > resources,
> > eg. CPU, memory, ... will it consume ?
> >
> > Do you have any ideal ?
> > Or where can I get this information ?
> >
> > Please tell me if you know, thanks a lot.
> >
> >
>|||It is impossible to say. You are in the best position to answer that if you
are migrating existing dbs on the same server you should have an idea
already. Two instances will always use more resources than a single instance
but how it breaks down will be different depends on many factors, none of
which we know anything about. Can't you just upgrade the 2000 instance to
2005 and keep the dbs that require it in 80 compatibility mode?
--
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors
"cpchan" <cpchaney@.netvigator.com> wrote in message
news:470a515c$1@.127.0.0.1...
> Thanks, I will migrate my SQL 2000 databases to this additional SQL 2005
> instance one by one, so you can see, there will be no change either in the
> total no. of databases or database work load.
> However, people can still agrue that the server has one more SQL 2005
> instance, it might consume a certain amount of resources, so, I have to
> know
> how much resources will the SQL 2005 instance consume.
> Or where can I get this information ?
> Please tell me if you know.
> "Ekrem Önsoy" <ekrem@.btegitim.com> wrote in message
> news:795C55B8-B3D7-4134-8023-9C411C74E363@.microsoft.com...
>> It depends on how much heavily you are gonna use it. I can at least say
>> that, every connection to SQL Server 2005 will consume 28KB if I'm
>> remembering correctly :)
>> Other stuff is environment-specific. How densely you use your databases,
>> your queries...
>> --
>> Ekrem Önsoy
>>
>> "cpchan" <cpchaney@.netvigator.com> wrote in message
>> news:470a4545$1@.127.0.0.1...
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > In order to migrate my existing SQL 2000 databases to SQL 2005, I want
> to
>> > install an additional SQL 2005 instance, how much extra computer
>> > resources,
>> > eg. CPU, memory, ... will it consume ?
>> >
>> > Do you have any ideal ?
>> > Or where can I get this information ?
>> >
>> > Please tell me if you know, thanks a lot.
>> >
>> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment