Friday, February 24, 2012

AMO with SQL2000

I am writing code in C# with VS2005. The code that I am writing uses SQL2000 and DSO. I want to upgrade to AMO but still use SQL2000. Does AMO work with SQL2000? I cannot upgrade the database to SQL2005.

You will need to upgrade to AS2005. Here's some relevent info.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1606122&SiteID=1

|||

Yan is right,

AMO = AS2005 administrative API

DSO = AS2000 administrative API

But you should not have too much trouble using DSO from C# as VS.NET will generate a RCW (Runtime COM Wrapper) for you. If you are comfortable with VB.NET it might be a slightly better choice for coding against a COM library as it has better support for optional parameters and a few other things that were common in COM libraries.

But I have used C# against other COM dlls and most of the time it is not an issue and the optional parameter thing can be overcome by simply typing in all the default parameters, it's not incorrect, I just find VB.NET "cleaner" when working against COM DLLs, but that could be just me. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment