Sunday, February 19, 2012

AMO <-> XMLA serialization?

I'm in the process of developing additional tooling to help auto-partition my cube, and I've developed some AMO code to connect to my AS database to do this.

What I'm worried about is the fact that there's no good way to keep my online instance in sync with the persisted source code. IE, if I make a change in dev mode and re-deploy, all my auto-created partitions will be destroyed.

What's the best way to deal w/ this? I suppose I could constantly re-generate a BIDS project from the server every time I wanted to make a change. Or, if there was some way to deserialize the BIDS project files (since they're all XMLA anyway), I could apply my AMO code to the updated the XMLA object definitions.

Have you looked at the Deployment Wizard. I am pretty sure it has the option of deploying a solution without overwritting the existing partitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment