Sunday, March 11, 2012

An error was encountered in the transport layer

I am fairly new to SSAS 2005. I have just created one cube. I was able to create an Excel pivot table that connected to this cube and had all the funtionality that I expected. I then published the pivot table as a web page. When I view the web page on the server where SQL 2005 is loaded the web page comes up with all of the expected functionality. But when I try to view the web page from another computer on my network I gett the error

The query could not be processed:

An error was encounted in the transport layer

The peer prematurely closed the connection.

Any suggestions on how to proceed.

Even though this is a web page, the page actually contains an ActiveX pivot table control which executes on the client machine. The client machines will need to have the OLEDB provider for SSAS 2005 installed in order to connect to SSAS 2005. You can download the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services 9.0 OLE DB Provider " from the feature pack download page (about half way down) at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=df0ba5aa-b4bd-4705-aa0a-b477ba72a9cb&DisplayLang=en

If this still does not help, there is a great article on troubleshooting connectivity issues with SSAS at http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/edwardm/archive/2006/05/26/21447.aspx

|||I've loaded SSAS OLE DB 9.0. I've allowed anonymous users and I still get the error. Any other suggestions.|||Trying using the domain name in front of your user name (domain\username)|||

You could try tracing the SSAS server while you try to connect to see if there are any error events that appear.

The following thread from the newsgroup might also provide some ideas:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap/browse_frm/thread/fda9edcc5cabaaa6/ae553b59c97dd4b5?lnk=st&q=&rnum=7#ae553b59c97dd4b5

|||

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem except it's less consistent (*sigh*). The situation: I have SSAS 2005 running on a non-domain machine (it's a test setup) along with Project Server 2007. I then have a few client machines I'm trying to connect with. The hitch is that one of them is able to connect with any method I try (.udl file, Excel PivotTable, or the Data Analysis Web components in the Project Server) - in SQL Server Profiler, I see the correct NTUserName appear (I have a couple of users created on the server). However, when I try to connect with another machine using Data Analysis components with IE7, I get the error "An error was encountered in the transport layer." and "The peer prematurely closed the connection."; the profiler shows the NTUserName is "Anonymous", yet I'm using the same user credentials. To make things interesting, on the problem machine, I can successfully connect using the .udl file method and Excel (the NTUserName is correct). Just for completeness, I have no problems when trying to connect locally from the server.

I'm reasonably sure the settings for Internet Explorer are correct and that I have the correct components installed (like OLE DB Provider for Analysis Services 9.0) otherwise no method would work. I'm just not sure why the user credentials are making it okay from one machine and not the other (and from different methods, to boot). Just for funsies, I enabled Anonymous access to SSAS but that had no difference. For reference, the machine that works is Vista and the machine that does not is XP SP2. Both machines are fully patched.

I have tried the suggestions in both of these following Web pages (and a variety of other postings) to no avail:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/bestpractice/cisql2005ascs.mspx

and

http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/edwardm/

Other things:

The firewall on the server is off

"Access data sources across domains" is enabled (IE option)

"Automatic logon with current user name and password" is enabled in all browsers I try (IE option)

2 comments:

PS said...

i have the following Problem. if i connect from the Business Objects Reporting tool to the Olap-Cube i get the first time the Error "... an error was encountered in the transport layer'. when i refresh the report a second time then i get data from the cube. in the trace you see that first he try to connect as anonymus and second as my user. i dont why he try to connect as anonymus. in the connectionproperties exist only my user server-ip\username.
Can someone help me ?

Anwar said...

Required Microsoft components, Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components and/or OLEDB provider for SSAS 2005, are not installed on the workstation.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH150390.html

Post a Comment